The Five Solas of the Protestant Reformation
A Reformed Baptist church follows the historical teachings of the Protestant Reformation, including the five "solas":
- Sola scriptura - by Scripture alone - the Bible is our only authority for faith and practice
- Sola fide - by faith alone - we are justified (declared just by God) by faith alone without any mixture of our good deeds
- Sola gratia - by grace alone - salvation is a free gift of God's grace (unmerited favor) and is in no way earned.
- Solus Christus - Christ alone - Jesus Christ is the only Savior and Lord, and the only way to get to God
- Soli Deo gloria - glory to God alone - all the glory goes to God for our salvation since it is His sovereign will and action that brought it to pass
The practical result of these beliefs is that we take the Bible seriously. We believe that preaching is central to worship and the life of the church. Our worship is reverent and joyful. We seek to apply the truths of God's Word to our daily lives. We diligently seek to proclaim the gospel to others, and we try to do good to all people, especially those of the household of faith.